About Medical Student Education at Bascom Palmer
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, the Department of Ophthalmology at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, offers electives to introduce third and fourth-year medical students to the clinical diagnosis and treatment of eye disorders as well as to the subspecialties of retina, glaucoma, pediatrics, neuro-ophthalmology, oculoplastics and cornea.
These courses are available to University of Miami medical students as well as to applicants from medical schools located within the United States, Canada and elsewhere.
The Department of Ophthalmology currently offers eight elective courses:
- Ophthalmology MDR860
- Ophthalmology at VAMC MDR861
- Ophthalmic Pathology MDR971
- Ophthalmology at BPEI Palm Beach Gardens MDR898
- Ophthalmology for the Non-Ophthalmologists MDR970
- Ophthalmology at BPEI Naples MDR802
- Ophthalmology at BPEI Emergency Department MDR972
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine’s medical students:
Please email Ms. Jaclyn Buckreis at the Department of Medical Education’s Office of Student Affairs, or call 305-243-6907 to make an appointment.
U.S. students enrolled in medical schools in USA that are accredited by the LCME:
Students enrolled in medical schools within the United States that are accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) must apply through the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) portal. For more information, or to schedule an elective, please visit the VSLO site.
International applicants and students enrolled in schools that are not accredited by the LCME:
International applicants and students enrolled in schools that are not accredited by the LCME can apply for a Bascom Palmer Eye Institute Clinical Observership. Please email our program coordinator, Damarys Menendez, or call 305-326-6032 to determine eligibility and schedule observerships.
For more information, please visit the medical education website.
Scholarship and Fellowship Opportunities
- Bascom Palmer Visiting Medical Student Scholarship
- Dr. Larry J. Singerman and Dr. Stephen G. Schwartz Research Scholarship
- Teleophthalmology Research Fellowship
- Student Outreach and Research (SOAR) Fellowship in Ophthalmology
- External Fellowship Opportunities
Yaimara Milian (Yami)
Sr. Clinical Program Coordinator
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
900 N.W. 17th Street
Miami, FL 33136