Bascom Palmer Eye Institute Mission
The mission of Bascom Palmer Eye Institute is to enhance the quality of life by improving sight, preventing blindness, and advancing ophthalmic knowledge through compassionate patient care and innovative research.
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute Vision
- To be recognized as the nation’s leading medical institution devoted to the eye.
- To exceed the expectations of those we serve.
- To provide a single high standard of health care consistent with our tradition of excellence for all who are entrusted to us.
- To lead in research for the advancement of ophthalmic medicine and technology to conquer eye diseases, prevent blindness and improve the quality of life.
- To provide a meaningful, progressive educational experience for our physicians and the community upon whom we depend for our future well-being.
The Norton Principles
Dr. Edward Norton, Bascom Palmer’s founding chair, instilled the concept of teamwork, selecting people who share core values and have a high personal character. He found that the right people provided support, encouragement and guidance. He was frequently asked why the Institute was so successful. His response was always to credit the faculty members.
The criterion, that he strongly believed led to his success as chair for more than 30 years, have become known as the Norton Principles.